Delegation's For Dialogue's first sports programme 'The Runners Delegation' was held in Pyongyang during April 2016. Building on this programme's success, this summer we will bring a small sports delegation to the DPRK to explore and establish future exchange opportunities. The programme has been designed to facilitate opportunities for delegates to potentially return to the DPRK with the purpose of implementing their own sports exchange initiatives. Delegates will make visits to institutions such as the Pyongyang Football Academy and will have the chance to participate in a range of sporting activities.
16 - 24 July 2017| China & North Korea
- Participate in a full day of discussions in Beijing; receiving briefings from a range of experts and practitioners from the field of sports diplomacy.
- Travel by rail to Pyongyang, the capital city of the DPRK and visit sites of historical and cultural importance.
- Visit the Pyongyang Football Academy and participate in a friendly football match with youth players training for the national team.
- Join in beach volleyball games with local residents in the city of Wonsan.
- Receive an introduction to the Korean martial art of Taekwondo at Pyongyang Taekwondo School
- Visit some of Pyongyang's newest leisure and sports facilities as well as cultural and historical sights.
- Discuss and develop future sports exchange opportunities with relevant partners.
- Visit the ancient city of Kaesong and the DMZ to learn more about the separation of Korea from the DPRK's perspective.
Additional sports related activities will be arranged according to the composition of the delegation.
TYPE: Sports Exchange
START: Beijing, China | 16 July 2017
END: Beijing, China | 24 July 2017
FEE: GBP 1280 [EUR 1500, USD 1640]
Read more about Programme Fees and Funding
FEE INCLUDES: Double occupancy accommodation, three meals per day, all transportation, DPRK visa fees, all entry tickets.
FEE EXCLUDES: Transportation to and from Beijing, double entry China Visa, DPRK guide tips, optional cultural performances in DPRK (orchestra, circus etc), alcoholic drinks, travel insurance, personal spending on souvenirs and anything not mentioned under included.
- Currently enrolled student at university level
- Recent graduates (within 5 years of graduating)
- Not a citizen of South Korea or the USA
- Preference will be given to current members of university sports teams, clubs or associations, with a demonstratable interest to forge future sports exchanges in the DPRK.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 30 May 2017 18:00 GMT
Delegates will be selected on a rolling basis. Early applications are advised. Read more about the Application Process
Sports have proven to powerful force for reaching individuals across the world. Not only do sports have the unique ability to transcend borders and promote dialogue but they can also offer the opportunity to expose participants to each others cultures.
While sports exchanges can take place at various levels, Delegations For Dialogue is committed to facilitating youth sports and cultural exchange opportunities that are open to amateur and professional sports teams alike. Our first sports programme in the DPRK took place at the time of the 2016 Pyongyang Marathon and since then we have worked to facilitate additional sports exchanges within one of the world's most isolated nations.